crashmybookparty

Crash My Book Party

Disruption

Disruption - Jessica Shirvington

I'd never read any of Jessica Shirvington's books before, but when I saw there would be a Melbourne book launch of Disruption I decided to go along and see what the fuss was about. I really enjoyed Jess' talk and while standing in line waiting to get my book signed, having finished the previous book I was reading, I read the first hundred pages (I was at the back of the line). So first thing that jumped out to me, this book is an eaay read and this is probably the only thing that didn't change from start to finish.

Maggie Stevens lives in a world where people find their perfect match through a microchip embedded in 'M-Bands'. 'M-Bands' can also be used detect the people who don't match well with anyone, the 'negs', who are thought to be the cause of crime and other bad things. Maggie has lost someone she loves to this technology, and she'll do anything to defy the system and get them back.

The problem is, I found, that many people were lost to this technology, people that over the book Maggie comes into contact with, but she doesn't care about them. I admire her strength and her drive, and her want to do right. I just wish she wanted to do right by everyone who had been affected, rather than just her personal interest in the matter. I understand why she did a lot of the things that she did, but I think with what she was trying to achieve she could have done more had she widened her scope. Her selfishness in the end was her downfall.

I feel like I say this a lot, but I really wish that authors would stop focusing on the physical appearances of their characters. It always seems to be the good looking guy that everyone wants and the girl that doesn't know she's beautiful. It's so boring and I'm sick of it. And why are all the other girls bitches and why do they all want that one other guy? Seriously, he was nice but wasn't the only guy in the world! The romance was kinda nice but I also felt she let too much get in the way of her objective. As romance does, but come on. So much more at stake here!

Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading this book and I'm looking forward to the sequel, it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.