crashmybookparty

Crash My Book Party

Knife Edge - Malorie Blackman

Oh no. What a disappointing follow-up to Noughts and Crosses.

I was blown away by Noughts and Crosses the first time I read it and this week when I read it for the second time I still highly enjoyed it. But Knife Edge just didn't really do it for me. I wanted to know what happened to Sephy and the baby, yes, and I got that. I also got a look into who Jude was and that he still has weaknesses and a vulnerability (interesting!). But I feel like more could have been done with this. The world building really could have been explored and more dimensions added. I liked how more of the rest of the world was developed through Jude's interactions with Cara and when Sephy sang in the band at clubs, but at the same time there was a lot of nothing going on in this book. Sephy's first few chapters are boring, saying only how she hated her daughter and then all of a sudden her feelings changed, new mother stuff. Sephy was still quite naive at the beginning, although her voice had matured. I feel like she's lost her fight though, and that's upsetting, because I had always loved her spunk and how she believed in equality.

The look into Jude's mind was interesting. He's a very angry, hostile young man but it feels like for him, the fight is not about equality. Its about vengeance. This is something I picked up in the previous book and was glad that Morgan challenged him about it. I was disappointed, though, that this was not further explored. There was a lot of potential for this to go somewhere and instead it became something Jude neve thought about again.

I'm still interested enough in the story and the characters to continue reading the two remaining books, but I was still disappointed with this one and hope they will improve and return to the same calibre as Noughts and Crosses. 3.5 stars.