crashmybookparty

Crash My Book Party

Have you met Sherlock's brother?

Every Breath - Ellie Marney

I received a copy from the publisher, Allen & Unwin, in exchange for an honest review. This however did not influence my review in any way.

Honestly, though the premise of the story intrigued me and spiked my Sherlock senses (a big fan of Arthur Conan Doyle's original characters), I did not expect to be so hooked by the opening chapters as I was. I didn't put this book down for two days!

The characters were multi-dimensional and interesting and they felt real to me - Watts and Mycroft but also the supporting characters and the villains, which could have been even more fleshed out had there been more time, but everything in this novel happened pretty fast so you can see why they weren't. The tension between Watts and Mycroft really jumped off the page at me, I was practically screaming "KISS! KISS!" at them...I wish I was kidding!

The writing wasn't fantastic but the dialogue was witty and I think it will appeal to teenage and young adult readers, particularly Australians when they see places as the major settings of the book! I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here.